Sunday 2 July 2017

Honest Poetry (Words That Pound).

Poetry requires clarity in expression.There are poets who write with a fictitious voice but the most profound works have been by poets who wrote their minds honestly.
 Could it be because they write of the things society feels comfortable sweeping under its rugs?
Below are some of the poetesses whose works I have been honoured to be acquainted with who I believe write with honesty ringing in their words.



    1.  Emily Dickinson


Born in 1830 some of her works allude to that time but most of it transcends time. It casts a light on timeless conflict with Self, Time, Love, Nature among her many themes.
 When a writer is not afraid to marry their souls to their work, their writing is  lent  timelessness. Her seclusion and solitude probably drove her to write out her mind honestly. 
“Real

I like a look of agony,
Because I know it ’s true;
Men do not sham convulsion,
Nor simulate a throe.
The eyes glaze once, and that is death.
Impossible to feign
The beads upon the forehead
By homely anguish strung.
______________________”

Excerpt From: Emily Dickinson. “The Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson.”
   2.  Maya Angelou


Maya Angelou might be the voice of the ordinary black American who felt stifled in racial America. She wrote of anger, the pain and the struggle of being a black woman in that age and afterwards showed through her work how one was to overcome the challenge and empower ones self.
Known as a social activist in her day, her words can jolt you out of your comfort zone.
“In a Time


 In a time of secret wooing
Today prepares tomorrow's ruin
Left knows not what right is doing
My heart is torn asunder.
In a time of furtive sighs
Sweet hellos and sad goodbyes
Half-truths told and entire lies
My conscience echoes thunder.
In a time when kingdoms come
Joy is brief as summer's fun
Happiness its race has run
Then pain stalks in to plunder.”

Excerpt From: Maya Angelou. “The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou.”





       A lecturer and an acclaimed African poetess,her poetry speaks of the Ugandan  political struggle and the challenges of growing up as a woman in Uganda.Her work is factual and emotional at the same time.She paints the Amin era and the terrors of the time,the Museveni rule and all is challenges in an honest voice.
Eloquently written most of her poems resound with words most writers would rather hide in metaphors.

      I am Tired Of Talking In Metaphors

I will talk plainly
Because I am moved to abandon riddles.
I will tell you of how we held our heads
In our hands
Because the owl hooted all night
And the dogs howled as if in mourning:
We awaited bad news
We received it
Our mother blinded in one eye
Crippled in the right leg
Because she did not vote
Her husband's candidate.


I will remind you
Of the time the peeled plantains
Stood upright in the cooking pot
We slaughtered a cock
Anticipating an important visitor
We got her:
Our daughter - pieces of flesh in a sack -
Our present from her husband.


No, I will not use images
I will just talk to you:
I do not fight to take your place
Or constantly wave my fist in your face.


I refuse to argue about
Your "manly pact"
With my father -
Buying me for a bag of potatoes and pepper.


All I want
Is to stop denying Me
My presence needs no metaphors,
I am here
Just as you are.
I am not a machine
For you to dismantle whenever you whim
I demand for my human dignity.





Description: мнөх бүлэг рүү


Excerpt From: Susan Kiguli. “The African Saga”



  4.  Rupi Kaur



An activist and artist, Rupi stays her self in her words. Her poetry is no bakery  so you cant expect any sugar coating. In an age of mimicry her poetry  is fresh breath to a reader.

“the next time he
points out the
hair on your legs is
growing back remind
that boy your body
is not his home
he is a guest
warn him to
never out step
his welcome
again”

Excerpt From: Rupi Kaur. “Milk and Honey.”



No comments:

Post a Comment