Tuesday, 27 June 2017

How I Transitioned to Natural Hair In 8 months.

Natural hair is a second job. That said, would I be gung ho about transitioning had I known this?
Hell yeah.

My natural hair journey started when my scalp got singed. Now am not here to narrate the gory days of relaxed hair but after the unfortunate event, I decided to go back to my roots. How,is the question.

These are some of  the habits that got ingrained in me the moment I decided to let my hair defy gravity.

·      Determined to never go back creamy crack
I made a promise to my then quite brown hair(I had started washing it from home) that I would NEVER relax it again.Joining Natural hair communities on line helped in thickening my resolve to stay true to my roots. 
When I stopped using relaxers.

·      Got more Hands on
I decided to wash, condition and mask my hair personally. This helped me to get to know the porosity of my hair, what product worked for it and what didn’t work.I have nothing against saloons because when I need to get a protective style in, they are my go to.
·      Got scissor happy.
When you are transitioning to natural hair (as you are), your natural roots begin taking length and the old sick hair that’s not breaking off well may need a little help falling off.
I used to snip away an inch  a month for the 8 months till my head had a full natural fro.
·      Kept off Heat.
Heat can seem friendly when you can’t get a comb through your thickness, get your spray bottle, moisturise do everything you have to do but stay away from the heat. Most saloons here don’t even know what heat protectant is, all their customers have relaxed hair.
Take care of that mane, don’t expose it to heat. 


·      Hair Typing? Nah
Every Naturalista I know emphasises ‘knowing your hair type’. Whether its 3c or 4c hair comes with different curl patterns, porosity and confusing texture.Truth is hair is as different as ABC. Take care of it knowing its still unique however much you might share characteristics in the 'type' you think you belong to.
I borrow hair tips from 4b and 4c and stopped deluding myself from ‘stereotyping’ my hair. It is what it is. Know your hair,you can think about the hair type later.
At 7 months.

·      Moisturise.
My hair is is coily and this helps it breakage easily if it gets really dry. That’s something I learnt around the sixth month. The spritz bottle became my friend. I still water this fro and make sure its anything but dry.
Protective Styling.
The first few months when my hair was a blazing brown glory made me keep it in braids and twists. This helped in pulling up fresh roots and quick growth.This habit still helps even now that
Braids at 6 months.

Featured

How I Transitioned to Natural Hair In 8 months.

Natural hair is a second job. That said, would I be gung ho about transitioning had I known this? Hell yeah. My natural hair journey ...